Thursday, July 8, 2010

It starts now

The idea of starting a blog has been swimming around in my head for too long. I will probably explain the details in a future entry, but for now I want to write about what made me finally do it today. This will be short, because Rick has already come out to tell me it is time to go to bed.

Yesterday, was a really hot day in NYC. I heard that it was breaking heat. We spent most of the day indoors, except for a little trip to the library, which was an excursion, but it was also hot. We lost Natalie's shoe on the way home. I went back to look for it, but decided it was gone for good. It was a rather uneventful day. After dinner, Rick volunteered to take Natalie for a walk. And then, Natalie decided it was time to do some walking of her own. It was such a joy to watch her take her first steps. She was so proud of herself, and when she fell, she kept wanting to get back up and try again. We all cheered for her, which I think helped. Caleb gets so much attention in our family, that I think Natalie just eats up the praise when we give it to her. It was one of those moments when you think, "Life is great".

Last night, I read in the New Testament Reader with Caleb. We read about the Resurrection. Afterward, Caleb knelt to pray. I suggested that he thank Heavenly Father that Jesus was resurrected. When he finished his prayer he said, "I felt the Holy Ghost". Rick and I asked him what it felt like. He declared that, "It felt magical". I just smiled. How sweet for this four year old to have a "magical" feeling like that when he prays.

Today, Caleb got into trouble for licking the salad dressing lid. It is delicious salad dressing, but we do have some limits when it comes to our table manners. We mentioned it too many times, and then he was punished by not having ice cream for dessert. He started wailing. We sent him to his room. When he finally came out, he said, "I'm sorry Mom. Is there anything I can help you with?" I swear he came up with that all on his own. I knew I needed to stick to my guns on the ice cream, but my heart just melted.

Caleb didn't get ice cream, unless Rick sneaked some to him while I was gone.

Miraculously, I found Natalie's missing shoe in the street near our car.

5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful reason to start a blog. You will always be grateful to have these tender moments on record. And these posts make grandparents and great grandparents so happy. It is wonderful to feel the Holy Ghost as we read about our family - our posterity! You are great people - Nicole and Rick. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, That is a great summary of an eventful day in Natalie's and your lives. It is interesting how the small things in life, like Caleb apologizing and bearing testimony in his own way are the most important of lessons. It really is the little things in life that count. Thanks for your post. As a grandfather, I will look forward to more. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why that posted as CopperKing. I will have to get a different name. I just do not know how yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is soooo SWEET! That he "felt magical" and that he asked "if he could help you with anything!" Such an amazing spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!!! Man I love those little ones. That is so precious about Caleb feeling magical. I love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete