Sunday, August 15, 2010

Called to Serve

A little over a week ago, our bishop called me up and wanted to meet with Rick and me. He requested to come by our home, which is a little out of the ordinary compared to other callings that I have received in the past. He didn't even say he was coming to call me to something, he just said he wanted to come by and visit. When he came, he started to talk to me about what my time schedule was like and whether I would be willing to serve more in the church. I really had no idea where he was going with all of this. Rick and I are planning to move away in less than a year. It didn't make sense that he would call me to be a president of an organization, and I doubt he would make a house call to place me in a presidency. I really wasn't sure what was going on. Rick anticipated what was happening, but I didn't understand until the words were actually stated. "We are considering calling you to be an EARLY morning seminary teacher." Early morning seminary...I was in a bit of shock.

I have had a range of emotions go through my head since that evening. The first was definitely shock. The next thoughts I had were a sense of possibility. Rick and I could make this happen. Logically, I could attend seminary and be home before Rick had to go to work. Our kids sleep through the night (for the most part), and I do not feel overwhelmed in other aspects of my life right now. Yes. I could do this. I told the bishop that I probably could be a seminary teacher, and I even thought it could be a great opportunity for our family. He told me it WILL be a great opportunity for our family.

The next range of thoughts to go through my head had to do with doubt and inadequacy. How could I be a seminary teacher? Sure I know the scriptures, but there are so many other people who seem to know them better than I do. I thought of my previous seminary teachers who seemed so much more experienced in life than me. I thought of trying to prepare lessons and wondering when and how I could realistically do this. The doubt definitely came in, but I tried to not let it linger.

Soon after my doubtful thoughts I began to be excited again. I was going to be teaching Doctrine & Covenants and Church History. I have a great opportunity to study Joseph Smith and the restoration of the church. I thought of my connection to church history. Our family has been to most of the church history sites, which I thought would be useful as I teach this year. I also thought of my own family history and how great it will be to understand more about my own ancestors and their role in the restoration of the gospel.

Even though this excited feeling had crowded out my doubts, I still felt a twinge of anxiety over the task of teaching five days a week at 6 AM! A couple days after the bishop visited with me, our friend and neighbor - who is also on the high council - came by to officially extend the calling of seminary teacher to me. He immediately set me apart. I don't remember the specifics of the blessing. It extended to our family and to my students. The thing I remember the most about this blessing is that my feeling of anxiety was gone. It has been gone ever since. Now, I am excited and at peace with what this year will bring.

In preparation, I have been reading the RS/Priesthood manual on Joseph Smith. Previously, I had only read a couple chapters in this book, because I was attending Primary the two years that the RS studied this book. I am enjoying this manual and I am gaining a stronger testimony of the restoration of the church. A couple thoughts that have stood out to me are: 1 - The church was restored line upon line and 2- The Book of Mormon was essential to the organization of the church. Rick's mom also sent me a book that I started reading entitled "Becoming a Great Gospel Teacher". I have only started this book, but it looks promising, plus it is endorsed by Sherrie, a Great Seminary Teacher.

I realize there are some things I will have to sacrifice to make this calling work. I might be watching less television this coming year. I just got back into reading novels since Natalie was born. I am worried that my novel reading will also be put on hold. And, I started this blog. I hope that I will still find time to write. I love writing our "Family Journal" in this blog.

I do think the spirit has been preparing me for this. Even though I was shocked to learn about this new opportunity, the thought of teaching seminary had crossed my mind before. I would even say teaching seminary has crossed my mind a handful of times. Each time, I thought, that would be cool, but I quickly dismissed the thought. Who really dwells on the idea of teaching a class at 6 AM? I think the spirit was preparing me. The week before this call, a friend of mine from high school reminded me of a female seminary teacher who was truly a great teacher. I was reminded of the great impact she had on the LDS students at my high school. Lastly, the day the Bishop came to visit us, I attended institute that day. The class was all about Joseph Smith, and we watched a seminary video. The video was new. After the class, I thought how wonderful it would be to teach seminary and see all the other videos on the DVD. I also wished that I had been to more institute classes to learn more about Joseph Smith. As my shock was wearing off, I was reminded of some of these thoughts, and I realized that the spirit really had been preparing me for this calling.

Today, we got a new bishopric in our ward. It is satisfying to realize the great work the previous bishopric has done, and it is exciting to see the hope and testimony of the new bishopric coming in. I love that our church functions through volunteer service. People are willing to serve, because of their testimony of Jesus Christ. That is why we give of our time to help bring others and ourselves to Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.....how amazing are you! So in tune with the spirit. Congratulations Niki! You will be a great seminary teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki, reading this blog has thrilled me so much. You will be a wonderful Seminary teacher because you recognize how the Spirit has worked in your life to prepare you for this calling. For one so young still, this calling will cause you to grow in amazing ways and prepare you for what lies ahead in your life. We are so happy for you to have this experience. We know the Lord loves you very much.

    ReplyDelete