Sunday, August 1, 2010

Life is a Gift!

Yay! I actually uploaded a picture. This blog won't just be about words. It will just mostly be words. Like most things in my life, this is a work in progress. I am so impressed with some of the postings in the blogger world. Maybe someday I will have fancy pictures, but for now I am happy just recording about my family and our life together. Please bear with the words.

I like this family picture, because right before we took it Caleb wrapped his arms around our necks and held us in tight. Like we were his best buddies. It was so natural and fun. I don't think we showed him how to do that. He just did it on his own. Natalie is at least looking at the camera. She looks like she wants to get down and crawl around. Sorry Natalie - it is tough to get us all smiling at once. This picture captured more of Caleb's personality than anything.

Rick is away right now. He left for Mike's memorial service on Friday night. We miss him. He left about 24 hours after the kids and I got back into town. Thursday night we were all home, and then Friday we were taking him back to the airport. I am so glad Rick went to WA for Mike's memorial service. I think it was a positive experience for him to see Mike's family and his old friends. Rick is also visiting with his family, which I know makes him so happy. Jay leaves for his mission in two weeks, so I am glad Rick was able to see him one more time before Jay leaves the country.

I can't speak for Rick on this, but Mike's passing has left a strong impression on me. He was Rick's friend, but I am glad that I knew him too. Mike's death has given many people a chance to reflect on the life he lived. Mike really enjoyed life. He was passionate about life. He was adventurous and creative. I remember him sharing music with me, and books, and poetry, and outdoor activities. He really knew how to live. I am sure he had his down times - like all of us - but I did not notice them as much. He was always fun in my mind. So, the greatest message I have gained through Mike's tragic ending is to live life to the fullest. Enjoy life.

The other thoughts running through my head deal with the Plan of Salvation. This life is a gift. We came to this earth to be happy. Which is one reason why the Plan of Salvation is also known as the Plan of Happiness. This earth life is a huge part of that plan. The other comforting part of that plan is knowing that we live again after we die. I don't even know if it is best to say "live again". Our spirit really does go on living. There is no end. I know that when our time on earth ends, our life does not end. I know that Mike's family will see him again. That is such a comforting thought to me.

Here is a link to Jennifer's blog. Jennifer is Mike's wife. She has an amazing way with words. She has sincerely described the life Mike lived and the heartache of losing him. I hope it is okay if I share her blog. I think her posts have been beautiful, and they really have strengthened me. http://lovecatandcaterpillargirl.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment